Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler Jeep Dodge technician
62301042

I have a 2011 Chrysler 200 touring. The actuator that

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Chrysler 200 touring. The actuator that controls the recirculator behind teh golve box started clicking. That "door" that moves you can actually see up through the cabin air filer open when the air filer is removed. It clicks about 1 out of 5 times I drive the car. When I turn recirc OFF and the door moves up, it does moves up, but it continues to try to move(up) past where the stop position should be. While clicking if I turn the recirc back on, it moves back to the correct postion(which us down).
About the same time this started, my air conditioneer seemed to stop working as well. It feels like teh blend door is to opening/closing properly and I am getting hot air mixed with the air conditioner. Is it possible that the two are related. Regardless of whether or not it is the recirc is clicking, the air still does not seem as cold. The Heat seems normal and I can change between heat and air, but teh air just isn't very cool.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, start with replacing the actuator that is clicking. They are common to fail, the gears inside strip out and cause the clicking noise, then recheck the A/C performance. It definitely makes it colder on recirc vs. fresh air.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will change it. I don't think that is causing the warmer air as it wants to stay in the recirculation position.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

It could be a blend door issue. Is the thicker A/C line going to the evaporator coil getting cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plan to change out that actuator tonight. Yes the line is cold.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know how it works after you replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to take it to a dealership to get it calibrated though, correct?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Technically, yes you would need a factory scan tool to run the HVAC door calibration but it might run itself when you replace it then do a battery disconnect for 30 seconds.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

How are you making out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
today it was cool out in the morning and I had the temp on low, and all 4 vents blew the same temp air into the car. That leads me to believe the blend door is moving properly. The recirc door is still clicking, but I have not tried to have it calibrated though.After driving for about 45 minutes in 75 degree weather trying to use the air conditioner, I decided to check the thicker line like you mentioned, it was completely iced over, is that normal? Does that mean I have low refrigerant, which is why the air is not cool, but does that explain at all why it is slightly better on the passenger side. The volume(fan) of air seems normal, that is not a problem.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Some frost on the suction line is normal under certain conditions, but not completely iced over. If the evaporator was frozen, you'd lose air flow from the vents though. It concerns me that you are still hearing a clicking with the new actuator, there might be something else broken in the HVAC box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you think about all vents blowing the same temp when blowing in outside air. But when the ac is on the far right vent is clearly the coldest while the far left drivers vent does not feel like the air is on at all. If the blend door wasn't working, wouldn't heat always be mixed making both situations have warm air added.
Also, I noticed the condensation on the ground has been very low. One day in the morning when it was hot the day before then very moist(Dewey) the next morning, the in the morning on first am drive the vents blew out a little fog for about a minute and sounded as if a very little bit of water was in the blower motor, it has only done that that one time.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Some 200's have dual zone temp control. Even on single zone, there are 2 blend doors for left and right but they are locked together (or supposed to be). That clicking you're still hearing plus the temperature difference now is really starting to sound like there's still an issue in your HVAC box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok apparently it has NOT clicked since I changed the actuator, my wife was confused what I asked.
Right now it is cool the same out if all four vents when the ac is off and it is cool outside. It is also hot the same in all 4 vents.
However when the ac is on it is only slightly cool on the far passenger side, getting slightly warmer as you move across the for vents on the dash, the the far drivers vent not really being cool at all.
Also, I noticed the condensation on the ground has been very low. One day in the morning when it was hot the day before then very moist(Dewey) the next morning, the in the morning on first am drive the vents blew out a little fog for about a minute and sounded as if a very little bit of water was in the blower motor, it has only done that that one time.Do you think I am just low on freon?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Its possible, the only way to know is to have it recovered and recharged and see how much comes out when it's recovered. I wouldn't worry about the condensation dripping unless your hearing water sloshing in the box.