Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

I have a 1990 Dodge W250 with 5.9L gas engine that has been

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Dodge W250 with 5.9L gas engine that has been sitting for 3 years and the check engine light came on when started...pulled codes #12 and #41 came up...could you tell me what these are? and how to clear them.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll help with your code question. The #12 code is a code for the battery being disconnected. I wouldn't worry about that one since it was just recently put back together that would be normal.

The #41 code however is for the alternator field control circuit open or shorted. This could be as easy as the alternator is not plugged in, has a poor connection, or the wiring between it and the computer is bad, or the alternator driver is bad in the computer

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Disconnecting the battery will clear the #41 code unless the problem remains there. The #12 code would still be stored but it won't turn the light on.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.