Brad
Brad, Dealership Technician
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician..ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

My 2008 sebring broke that pink plastic piece in half on

Customer Question

my 2008 sebring broke that pink plastic piece in half on shifter. I can presh the other pink piece and move the shifter but dash says neutral wherever I put it so I cant drive it
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon D replied 1 year ago.

A common problem, so common in fact they have a recall on it. On 2007/2008 sebrings, the shift lever interlock spring retainer hook breaks. Any chrysler dealership should fix it for you free of charge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealer modified the plastic piece with a metal cover 6 months ago. whole plastic unit broke into pieces. You did not anser my question as to why the dash says neutral even when I got shifter in drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can bypass to drive my car? I can put shifter into drive pressung the pink lever on the right but dash shows it is in neutral in drive, neutral, park, etc.
Expert:  Jon D replied 1 year ago.

With the safety override broken, the whole assembly will have to be replaced. The car is just going to always think its in neutral no matter what position the shifter is actually in. It will have to be towed to be fixed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The assembly is really easy to replace. If I get one and hook it up will it go out of neutral? Does the dealer have to program it to make it get out of neutral? I have the console off and get to everything. Ztred puting safety cable indiffernet positions and it still stays in neutral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used this answer so I cold repair it and not tow it 100 miles to the nearest dealer.
Expert:  Jon D replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to opt out, another expert will be by soon to help you further.

Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

New expert here!!!

Your shifter sounds like it needs to be replaced, but if you can move the shifter by pressing the pink override then it should go into gear and you should be able to drive it.. And since you can't there's an issue with your cable.. Can you feel any resistance when you shift? If the cable attached to the shifter and the transmission? When you move the shifter does the transmission lever move as well? If not then you have a cable issue, if it does move then you have a range sensor issue on the valvebody..

Keep me posted,

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pink lever on the left side broken into 5 pieces. I unbolted the shifter and removed the pieces so there is no pink parts left on the left side. Just the white safety cable hanging free. I moved the pink lever on the right side to get the shifter to move into drive but the display shows neutral on the dash and we were able to push the car so it is really in neutral. There is not much resistance when moving the shifte but the the cable is at least moving inside of the car. I orderred a new shifter assembly and will be here in 3 days. If that does no work I will have to go under the car for more checks. If all the parts are replaced will the deaer need to hook up a scanner to take it ot of neutral? Thank you
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

If the cable is attached in the vehicle and you can se it moving then check the cable at the transmission.. If the cable is moving it should be shifting the transmission reguardless of your shifter issues.. If the cable is moving and the transmission linkage is moving as well you have a bad range sensor in the valvebody..

Brad