Vipertech
Vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  11 years of Factory Dodge, Jeep and Chrysler training
3256298

My 2002 pt crusier just shift In to 2 ND gear while I was

Customer Question

My 2002 pt crusier just shift In to 2 ND gear while I was driving appointment 40mph will not shift out. It's an automatic tran
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Evening, the reason it went into 2nd gear was that the system detected an issue related to the transmission. It going into 2nd gear is what they cal "limp in mode". Its a feature that allows you to still drive the vehicle at a lower speed so that you can get somewhere safe or to a repair shop. So we know the affect....now whats the cause. Your going to have to check the modules to see what code or codes are present. You will need a scanner to pull the codes. If you don't have a scanner you can try driving it to your local parts store and have them retrieve the codes free of charge. It depends on how far away the parts store is and what type of roads you need to drive to get there. Certainly no highway/freeway driving due to being in second gear. With the code or codes I would be able to help you further.