Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

Im getting amp draw on my battery but it goes up and down

Customer Question

im getting amp draw on my battery but it goes up and down from 4.3 to .2 what do you think is happening?
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its staying steddy at .75 now i think
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. 75 milliamps is an acceptable for an ignition off draw on a Town & Country. There are so many controllers, computers, and modules on that van and some of them take several minutes (up to 30 minutes) to "go to sleep" or power down after the ignition is turned off. If you watch the ammeter the draw will slowly go down. If it is staying at 75 milliamps, then you should be ok. If it goes back up, then something is causing a controller to "wake up". If that is the case, then you may be able to isolate which controller it is by pulling fuses one at a time, or locating the controllers and disconnecting them. In some cases this can be pretty time consuming and patience is required. But if it staying at 75, then don't worry about it.

I hope this helps,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well my battery dies after 2-3 days I've changed the battery and although the alternative I put in is a 140a should I use the 160a or do you think it's something else?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

If it drains in 2 to 3 days, then the draw must be going back up at times. The 140 amp alternator is fine. Installing a 160 amp will not fix this. You will need to watch the ammeter and start pulling fuses. If you can get the draw to come down by a fair amount when you pull a particular fuse, then tell me what fuse it is and I can look up and see which controllers are fed by that fuse.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i have to go to work now put i will try to pull fuses till something drops is ther just one fuse box under the hood?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok, there is only the one fuse box under the hood. None inside of the van. Good luck! I hope this helps,

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see how it is going with the draw issue. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still working nights so no time to troubleshoot the draw but I did notice the hood switch was keeping the system from sleeping so I'm not to share what to try next
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Ok no problem. Just wanted to see how it was going. Try disconnecting the hood switch and see if that helps.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Any luck yet?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Chris i ended up taking it to the dealer they said it was a short in the electrical sys in the instrument cluster going to cost me 1100 bucks ill find out more later but don't think it was something easy to change out
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm, is it a control module or harness problem?

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They didn't say i can ask later on
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Please find out if you can and let me know what they say.

Chris