sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2005 T&C the tail gate will not open. It will not

Customer Question

I have a 2005 T&C the tail gate will not open . It will not open or close automatic. You can do it by hand. Checked the fuse it is ok
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be a few things. The power liftgate module may have failed or may not be awake due to a loss of power or ground, there could be an issue with the lift motor, or the module may be seeing an issue and purposely preventing operation. An abnormal or missing temperature sensor signal, pawl switch, pinch sensor a failure of one of the switches on the drive motor assembly can all cause the module to prevent operation.

Does it chime when pressing the button to open it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it chimes

Does the latch pop off but the liftgate doesn't move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me how to check these devises that you mentioned to see if any of these are the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A scan tool would be needed for proper testing of the system. Do you have a scant ool that will communicate with the power liftgate module?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a scan tool . I have a VOM meter

Do the ajar light and interior lights come on when everything else is closed and you open the liftgate manually?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the lights come on

You likely have a failed pawl switch in the latch. A scan tool should be used to diagnose it but what you can try is backprobing the orange/yellow wire in the latch connector and see if it opens and closes to ground when the pawl is changed from the closed to open position. If the switch does not open and close to ground then the latch will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When tailgate is closed the switch is open to ground
When tailgate is open the switch is closed to ground
using the orange/yellow wire

The pawl switch is working then. You can try the same test with the violet/orange ajar switch wire. If that's ok then from there you're going to need to know what fault codes are setting in the power liftgate module and possibly look at inhibit data to test deeper.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
violet/orange wire
open when gate is close
closed when gate is open
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you saying that I should take it to a dealer for further code testing

It wouldn't necessarily need to be a dealer but not all aftermarket scan tools will be capable of communication with the power liftgate module. The choices will be to diagnose it properly and know that you're going to replace the correct part, or you can replace parts likely to cause the problem and hope that takes care of it. The latch is the most likely cause for a problem like you're having but it appears the latch may be ok. The module or drive assembly are the next most likely causes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no way to check these at home?

There isn't a way to read codes or look at data in the power liftgate module without a scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help

You're welcome!