Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

1999 chrysler T&C variable spped wipers intermittent stop go

Customer Question

1999 chrysler T&C variable spped wipers intermittent stop go sometimes wll not shut off. so far install new turn signal switch, new cardone wiper motor, swapped out T& C control module with 99 Caravan module...same chrysler module id series added new ground from motor mounting screw to frame...hi-low and wiper on off relays ok. Still have problem now wiper motor runs continuously...willnot turn off with turn signal arm switch...once in a blue moon wipers work very rarely. Ideas???
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing can be caused by any of the following,

• Defective Body Control Module (BCM)
  • Grounded Wiper On Relay Wiring
  • Wiper Relay — Stuck points in the wiper on relay.
  • Wiper Switch
  • Wiper Switch Wiring

In order to determine the cause you are going to need to do some testing, I have enclosed the steps in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Wiper%20Sept%2018.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron thank you for the quick reply...Your solution suggests the following:
"The problem you are describing can be caused by:"Defective Body Control Module (BCM) SEE(A)BELOW
Grounded Wiper On Relay Wiring (B)
Wiper Relay — Stuck points in the wiper on relay SEE(C)BELOW.
Wiper Switch SEE(D)BELOW
Wiper Switch Wiring (E)Please read my original request as I already addressed some of your suggestions...
In that inquiry:
(A) I mentioned I have swapped out the BCM with what I believe is a good used BCM module....could have the same problem but the likelihood seems remote???
(C) I also installed new relays, both High/Low Speed and Wiper On Relays
(D) I already replaced the Wiper Switch (on the steering column) with a brand new one with no effect???Questions:
(1) I will check the replacement BCM.. What/which scan tool and where is it connected??? Is it a CAN OBDII Reader? IF not what is it and what the connection point...remembering I am a DYI mechanic.
(2) You mentioned wiring issues:
.(B) Grounded Wiper On Relay Wiring. I had already checked for voltage to the ON Relay Terminals at the Relay/Fuse Block with the Relay removed. The voltage(ON/OFF) does change(ON/OFF) with the new wiper switch rotation?
(E) Wiper Switch Wiring. I have not checked yet but remember in my original I mentioned the circuit as it now stands does operate occasionally as it should.
To troubleshoot, do you have access to a wiring diagram with color codes that I can use to test for opens/shorts inthe column wiring? Also I need to know where the wiper circuit grounds are located on my 1999 Chrysler T&C. I am leaning toward a bad ground(ing) issue rather than shorts.Please review this in its entirety and get back to me with your recommendation(s). Thanks, Lou.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Any and all codes are retrieved from the DLC , if you have a compatible scan tool you should be able to read all modules. See the wiper wiring diagram in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Wiper%20diagram%20Sept%2018.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron, I appreciate the schematic. Now I’m down to checking the steering column wiring:
The turn signal/wipe s witch assembly that mounts/screws into the column has 2 sets/rows of pin outs…top row has 7 pins; bottom row has 5 pins. Layout looks similar to:
o o o o o o o
o o o o o
Questions…
(1) Do you have an image of what each of the above pins connects to internally, showing wire color codes so I can compare each to the schematic and check for internal shorts and continuity?
(2) Also, is there a terminal block at the bottom of the column? I’m looking for the same image(s) with color codes.
(3) Lastly,, is there any instruction set on getting to the column wiring, i.e., in your experience do you have to remove the steering wheel to get to the wiring harness??? If so please provide.
Thanks again for the help….so far I haven’t been able to pinpoint the cause of this issue.
Regards, Louis
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

See the multi function switch connector view with wiring and pin locations.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Multi%20function%20sept%2018.pdf

The harness should come out of the column near the bottom side of the column with out having to tear the column down.