Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Working in customer car 2002 Chrysler or cruiser. Came in

Customer Question

Working in customer car 2002 Chrysler or cruiser.
Came in with overheat issue, long story short,sold customer jasper engine due to old engine had blown head gasket.
Remove and replace engine, installed everything, quadruple checked all by grounds and connectors, will crank but not start.some times it if I turn the key it will crank about 4 times and just stop cranking. With koeo the tach will jump around and somethines read 8k rpm.
Have see real code:
P0750 shift solenoid a malfunction
P1391 loss of camshaft crank
P0340 no cam signal at pcm
P0320 crankshaft position sensor cir
P1682 charging output low
P1684 battery power to module disconnected
Also I have the fuel line off and turn key on engine off the the fuel stayed running and constantly pump fuel out. Last I replace cam and crank sensor still nothing
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 1 year ago.

When monitoring the CMP and CKP sensors on a scan tool, are they a consistent reading and pretty close to the same readings?

Is the compression good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it to start had coil and cam connector swap, don't know y Chrysler made this even possible to happen, keep getting code for p0340 no camshaft reference signal at pick, and p0700 po750. Those are trans code may already be present before engine replacement

Do you need help diagnosing the trans codes and the CMP code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the cmp code
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
another problem is there no power steering the hose from pump to reservoir will collapse when running
  1. When the engine is in a no start condition, check the voltage on the Orange wire at the CMP . It should have 8-10 volts.
  2. Check the sensor ground BK/LB wire at the CMP. There should be no resistance to ground.
  3. The TN/YE wire should have 5 volts when unplugged from the CMP sensor.

While running monitor both the CMP and CKP sensors, you should see a pretty much consistent signal from both on a graph.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Orange - 9 volts
Bk/LB - 56 ohms
To/ye - 5 volts

The ground appears to be the issue. Can you check PCM pin 43 same wire color to see if there is resistance to ground there as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry won't be working on car Till Monday, but is it possible I messed up pcm by have the coil and cmp sensor connectors swapped???

Yes that is very possible you damaged the PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is what I'm thinking, because there was no check engine light before engine replacement, but I will keep u updated with my finding Monday, dont know y Chrysler would even put
2 of the same connectors so close to each other

Super

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From cmp bk/lb to pcm pin 43 - 4.6 ohms
From pcm to body ground 70 ohms
From cmp to body ground 65 ohms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to alldata test for code p0340 these numbers are within spec...

Even though they are within specs, it is ground and it should have 0 resistance to another ground. I still believe it to be the PCM or a ground input to the PCM to blame. If you would like to give another tech a shot, I can opt out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, just need to get this figured out, I do believe it a pcm issue myself, just need a second opinion

Opting out now, best of luck.