Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

P0335 code sensor. Replaced the sensor with a new one and

Customer Question

P0335 code for crank sensor. Replaced the sensor with a new one and car still will not start. Have ref 12v, ground but signal to ECM is 8.5v to 9.5v and not .1v to 5.0v.
Mitsubishi 3000GT Vr-4 1999
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Yhe signal out of the Crankshaft senor should be a a 5 volt square wave. Are you loosing spark as well as injector pulse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am loosing spark and injector by design I think. just wondering if the output voltage should be that high and is there a probable cause since it was brand new.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If you are lacking spark as well as injector pulse and you getting a good 5 volt square wave pattern from the CKP sensor and the circuit from it to the computer checks okay then you are likely looking at a problem with the computer. I would start with making sure you have power and ground to the computer (PCM ) and reference voltage out of it .See the steps to do this in the link below, copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/PCM%20test%20Sept%2016.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let's be clear, when cranking I am getting 8 to 9 volts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not a 5v square wave.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

It should be a square wave pattern while cranking. Check the test steps I sent you and if you are sure the new sensor is okay then the problem is likely with your PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried a working ECM with the same result. please answer t h is question: if my meter is registering an alternating 8v to 9v while turning the crank (starting) is this acceptable for this sensor.all other tests successful.I've also unplugged the coil, measured the voltage on the signal wire (2) from the sensor and turned the crank manually. the result was a signal that went from 8v to 5v back to 8-9v.trying to understand if the excess voltage is the problem making the sensor the fault?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Not its not acceptable, you should be seeing a 5v square wave. If you are getting 8 to 9 volts it is excessive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ron - just changed the crank sensor again and the same thing happened. car ran for a minute then cut off. measured voltage before starting but ignition on was 5 volts.
measured voltage after cutoff was 9.5 volts. car will not start and CEL points to the engine speed sensor P0335.what is making my brand new sensors go bad?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Im not sure , are you replacing it with a OEM factory sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am, direct from Mitsubishi part number MD187066
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Its not likely that they all keep failing , I wonder if you have a problem with the circuit from it to the PCM, have you checked the wiring from it to the PCM?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've checked the voltage at the PCM and it measures the same as at the crank sensor.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

That would indicate you have a bad bad ECM but you say you have replaced it, if that is the cases Im not sure how to advise you , Im afraid there is not much more I can do from here . I can relist the question for you in hopes fresh eyes will have some new ideas if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please do. can't figure out why after testing fine, and the car starts but only runs for about a minute. wondering if having the battery tender connected is having an impact.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Doing so now. If someone can help they will respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if you're still there please answer this question. I just rigged wires to test the continuity from the sensor to the PCM and the meter buzzes but does display numbers counting down. I'm no mechanic so please if you can help me understand if this is normal or abnormal. I bought the meter suggested by your site.