Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler Jeep Dodge technician
62301042

Have a bad shaking problem after changing my timing belt.

Customer Question

have a bad shaking problem after changing my timing belt. The balancer has no key way but maybe ive done something wrong there. the motor runs good though no miss fire.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, is the balancer wobblin?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Wobbling sorry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no not at all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The mount on the car are new and were replaced before i did the timing belt and the shaking was never there until i changed the timing belt.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

There's 3 mounts on the front of that engine. You have the upper short "dog bone and longer lower dog bone then the center one with the big torx bolt. I'd check the center one. It might be bad or not in place correctly. If either, it will transfer the vibration from the engine to the body especially since its bolted to the frame rail and wasn't there before the timing belt job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

jon are you still here with me?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all the engine mounts are good. All three of them and the trans mount as well. its not that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This thing shakes really bad man like a washing machine out of balance. Maybe the balancer is clocked wrong. can you see if they go one in a certain way please.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

The balancer definitely just presses onto the crank. There's no keyway like you said. Some PT's had a balance shaft in the oil pan. I'm not in front of a computer .I'll get back to you shortly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah can you send me the procedure of the timing belt replacement please. I want to see if i missed something on my install. I'm wondering if i have the timing belt to lose or to tight.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Turbo or non turbo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no turbo.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

TIMING BELT

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
  2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket (Camshaft Sprocket Alignment For Timing Belt Installation).

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner (Timing Belt Installation).
  4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise (Timing Belt Installation) to align marks and take up belt slack.
  5. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE . The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang (Timing Belt Tension Adjustment). Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 N·m (220 in. lbs.). Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock bolt is torqued.
  6. Remove allen wrench and torque wrench.

NOTE: Repositioning the crankshaft to the TDC position must be done only during the CLOCKWISE rotation movement. If TDC is missed, rotate a further two revolutions until TDC is achieved. DO NOT rotate crankshaft counterclockwise as this will make verification of proper tensioner setting impossible.

7. Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position (Crankshaft and Camshaft Timing).
  8. Check if the spring tang is within the tolerance window (Timing Belt Tension Verification). If the spring tang is within the tolerance window, the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang is not within the tolerance window, repeat Steps 5 through 7.
  9. Install upper and lower front timing belt covers (Front Timing Belt Covers). (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/VALVE TIMING/TIMING BELT COVER(S) - INSTALLATION).
  10. Connect negative cable to battery.

TIMING BELT

11. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
  12. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket (Camshaft Sprocket Alignment For Timing Belt Installation).

13. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner (Timing Belt Installation).
  14. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise (Timing Belt Installation) to align marks and take up belt slack.
  15. Insert a 6 mm Allen wrench into the hexagon opening located on the top plate of the belt tensioner pulley. Rotate the top plate COUNTERCLOCKWISE . The tensioner pulley will move against the belt and the tensioner setting notch will eventually start to move clockwise. Watching the movement of the setting notch, continue rotating the top plate counterclockwise until the setting notch is aligned with the spring tang (Timing Belt Tension Adjustment). Using the allen wrench to prevent the top plate from moving, torque the tensioner lock bolt to 25 N·m (220 in. lbs.). Setting notch and spring tang should remain aligned after lock bolt is torqued.
  16. Remove allen wrench and torque wrench.

17. Rotate the crankshaft CLOCKWISE two complete revolutions manually for seating of the belt, until the crankshaft is repositioned at the TDC position. Verify that the camshaft and crankshaft timing marks are in proper position (Crankshaft and Camshaft Timing).
  18. Check if the spring tang is within the tolerance window (Timing Belt Tension Verification). If the spring tang is within the tolerance window, the installation process is complete and nothing further is required. If the spring tang is not within the tolerance window, repeat Steps 5 through 7.
  19. Install upper and lower front timing belt covers (Front Timing Belt Covers). (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/VALVE TIMING/TIMING BELT COVER(S) - INSTALLATION).
  20. Connect negative cable to battery.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

did you notice if it has the balance shaft assembly in the oil pan and did you have the chain off of it if so?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Here is how that gets timed:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no chain just belt.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

the chain would be behind the crank sprocket and go down to the balance shaft assembly if it has it. Can you send me a picture of the oil pan viewed from the front of the engine (right side of car)?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

I'm trying to determine if your vehicle has the balance shaft assembly or not in case you're wondering why I'm asking for a picture of the oil pan. I'll be able to tell by looking at the oil pan.