Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

2002 Sebring coupe:After 2 weeks at an airport parking

Customer Question

2002 Sebring coupe:After 2 weeks at an airport parking facility, the detailer noticed "a very strong electrical burning smell" and that "the internal light was blinking on and off even with the ignition off". They disconnected the battery. When we called to pick up the car 2 days later about 1am we were totally unaware of the problem. No one warned us, it was running and we hopped in. All the way home (40 min) all speakers were crackling with severe static and loud pops. We could not shut off the radio or CD player. We were very annoyed but attributed it to someone having messed with the sound system.
When we got home and turned off the ignition we expected quiet but the static sound continued. We had to disconnect the battery to get it to stop.
Is this some kind of grounding problem, a short maybe? If so how do I locate it?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
When you cut the engine off and there was still static, was the radio still on, or was it off?
Do you know if your sound system have an amplifier?
We may need to do some testing and you will need a good digital volt/ohm meter(dvom), and fairly good understanding of automotive 12c dc systems and CAN BUS systems, as well as ability to read wiring schematics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the engine off the static continued coming out of the speakers. The radio was off. When we were driving there wasn't any sound from the radio but we couldn't turn the system off. The sound system is original from the factory. I think it has an amplifier. We have a digital volt/ohm meter. Unfamiliar with CAN BUS system but my husband is a mechanical engineer and familiar with reading schematics. You don't think it's a grounding short?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Possible, but I need to pull the schematics first to see what we may be dealing with
First, have your husband check to see if it has an amplifier. It is located directly underneath the passenger side front seat. He may need to remove the seat to see it. Because there is an airbag in the passenger seat, make sure to disconnect both battery cables and wait 3 minutes before removing the seat.
Once it is out, check for the amp. If amp is there, disconnect the connector to it, reconnect the battery and see if the noise is still there. If it goes away, replace the amp