sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2014 Chrysler T&C with 19k miles on it. I keep

Customer Question

I have a 2014 Chrysler T&C with 19k miles on it. I keep hearing a knocking/clunking noise coming from the rear driver side. Seems to be more from the rear wheel area. I've had the van into the dealership twice. First time they replaced the rear shocks. Noise seemed to go away... second day back from the dealership the noise returned.
Took the van to a mechanic friend of mine and he verified the noise. Put it on the lift and he thought maybe it was the brake calipers. He replaced the pins and bushings in the calipers, didn't help.
Noise is present 5-50 mph. Ironically I can hear the noise more on smooth roads more than imperfect roads. Assuing there's more road noise. If I take it on gravel roads the noise is pretty evident. Any advice would be great.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may be hearing quite a few things. It could be suspension related, brakes, or it may be something loose that's contacting another component. I've seen a brake line hitting in the evap canister area which would cause a noise over bumps in the rear.

Does the noise go away if the brake pedal is pressed lightly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The noise doesn't go away if I hit the brakes. It almost sounds like something is swishing around in the fuel tank, but the sounds seems to be coming from the wheel well area.

Has the dealer not heard the noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah the dealer has heard the noise. The second time I took it in they weren't too enuthsaed to dig in deeper to find the cause. I figured if I can point them in the right direction may make it an easier process.

Telling them what to do or bringing in outside help isn't going to be well received by them. It would be best to drop the van off and allow them to have time with it, if they're aware of the noise you're concerned with and they can spend a few hours with it then they'll find it. They may need to use Chassis Ears to help pinpoint it.

Will the noise happen if the van is rocked or jounced while sitting still?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get it to make the noise when it's sitting still. Bouncing or rocking it.

In an area where it's safe to do so, if it's making the noise and you slightly apply the emergency brake enough to tension the cables does that change the noise or make it go away?