Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

I am working on a 2005 Chrysler town and country 3.8L, it is

Customer Question

I am working on a 2005 Chrysler town and country 3.8L, it is currently in a crank no start condition. I first noted that it does fire very briefly with a small pop in the intake as it shuts off. Spark plugs were all carbon fouled, otherwise in good condition, compression test showed slightly high (163-164) but consistent readings on all cylinders. Spark to all plugs was verified through hei spark tester. I then removed the front valve cover for cylinders 2-4-6 and noting that 1 and 4 were on the same coil i verified compression stroke on 4 and saw two closed valves. It had codes for a gross vacuum leak however i can not locate any of the leak detection system parts, I bypassed and plugged the egr, i disconnected and plugged all vacuum lines at the intake (counter intuitively as i would suspect a vacuum leak to cause a lean condition) and same result. If you remove the fuel pump relay after pressure is made it will run nice and smooth for about 7 seconds. I did not have a fuel press. gauge with but do know that there is pressure and volume at the rail since I pulled it while under pressure. The only other note worthy thing are a TPS that only goes from 13-80% and no voltage from the O2 sensor after the catalytic converter. Are these things so fickle they would not run with an O2 sensor disconnected, can a cam or crank sensor throw off injectors without affecting spark, Would a slightly low fuel pressure cause such a condition, or am I barking up the wrong tree completely?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start with scanning the computer and see if there are any fault codes setting, popping through the intake can be cause by either a valve timing concern and or a fuel pressure concern. Get you hands on a fuel pressure gauge and read the actual pressure , check these thing for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only fault codes were for a small vacuum leak and a gross vacuum leak. No misfires and nothing for the rich condition or nonfunctional O2 sensor. I am assuming that cylinder 4 at tdc with both valves closed means the engine is in time( as it sparks with #1). The Pop is at the end when it stutters and shuts off completely and is not a backfire sounds more like an air compressor shutting off. I will check fuel pressure today and get back with reading.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay if you sure cam timing id okay then let get the fuel pressure checked, I'm here all day so post back when you can and I will try and help you get this narrowed down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any suggestions as to where to find/make an adapter to connect to this single line fuel system. I cannot find a schrader valve to connect to
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Most fuel pressure test kits come with all the adapters you need, if you do not have the kit there are some parts stores that will rent you the kit for a deposit. One other way the pressure can be read is with a compatible scan tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a snap on MT337B fuel pressure test kit, it has nothing that will help, have also looked at all the local parts stores and there test kits have nothing. the only thing I have seen you have to cut the plastic line and insert a T with hose clamps then after testing couple them back together. I am not comfortable doing this. Is my assumption about #4 TDC Correct?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would not cut any fuel lines as well. You should be able to read furl pressure with a compatible scan tool by looking at the data stream. If your scanned can not do it you may need your dealer to do it for you.