George H.
George H., ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

I had the alternator replaced on my 2002 Prowler and now

Customer Question

I had the alternator replaced on my 2002 Prowler and now tachometer is not working.
Mechanic says that he needs to off and rewind it or something like that is this correct?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

He is saying the alternator needs to be rewound to get a signal for the tachometer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mechanic say that sometimes this happens when starting the car after replacing starters and alternators?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I call you is there an extra charge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just type answer Thanks!
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I have never heard about this so I will OPT out of your question and maybe someone else can shed some light.

Sorry I could not help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok! Car is running great, I tapped on Tachometer and it shows that that needle or indicator is all the way over to the right side. Mechanic says he needs to take it out and rewind the needle back to it's original postion.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

That is a different matter then. I understand what is happening. He can just remove the instrument cluster and hold it face down to allow the needle to return to its start but you can try running the self test to see if it will reset on it's own. Hold the trip computer reset in while you turn the key on, keep holding until the gauges sweep then let go.

Let me know if that works or if the needle is stuck behind the stop post.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or he can call me on my Cell phone xxx-xxx-xxx
Got your message I try this and I will let you know late Thank you
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I am unable to speak on the phone but give the test a couple of tries and see if the needle returns to the correct side. If it does then you are done, if it does not then removing the cluster and holding it face down while you slowly rotate it will bring the needle back around.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you