Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler Jeep Dodge technician
62301042

My 2008 aspen 4.7 V8 wont start it just cranks afterwards

Customer Question

My 2008 aspen 4.7 V8 wont start it just cranks afterwards the lightening symbol on with check engine light
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, have you checked the fuel pressure while you're cranking it when it doesn't start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No don't know how to check pressure what my suv is doing we turn key to start vehicle it starts cranking constantly have to turn key on off or it remains cranking when keys on.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

That is probably a Tip start feature. You just have to turn the key to crank to "crank" for a second and let go and it will crank on its own until it starts. If it doesn't start, it will cut the starter off after about 10 seconds. If you look at the fuel rails, I think the passenger side has a plastic cap like a valve stem on a tire but bigger. Unsscrew that cap, stick a screwdriver in to depress the valve core and have someone turn the key to run while the valve core is depressed. The fuel pump should come on for a second when you turn the key to run and fuel should spray out if you have that valve core depressed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We try it and nothing sprays out
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you have 2 choices for the next step. There's a blue/orange wire in a connector on the frame rail in the drivers wheel well. It's common for the wire to break there. Remove the fuel pump relay, look for pins 87 and 30 under the relay. Stick a paper clip in the cavities 87 and 30 go into, take a test light and check for power at the blue/orange wire on both sides of that connector on the drivers frame rail behind the LF wheel. It's slightly rearward of the wheel clipped to the top of the frame rail

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

The other step would be to check for that power at the fuel pump but you'd have to lower the gas tank to do that

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Did you try either of those steps?