sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

08 PT Cruiser dash lights flash, it tries to stall and

Customer Question

08 PT Cruiser dash lights flash, it tries to stall and sometimes does. Daughter afraid she'll get run over if it stalls in traffic. Read that many folks have same issue. I replaced battery, and wonder if the ignition acuator pin could be the problem? Of all the online help requests I've read - no one seems to find the answer to this problem. Maybe it is a module somewhere? Just very frustrated.... Dan'O
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be quite a few things including wiring and the TIPM, but what I usually see causing this is the ignition switch. The actuator pins do sometimes break or wear and cause starting issues but once the switch is in the run position then the actuator pin's job is done until the key is turned off. Spring detents in the switch hold it in place.

It would take some electrical testing at the time the problem is happening to know exactly what is going on but based on the symptoms replacing the ignition switch should take care of it.