sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How do I stop the chiming on my 2012 Chrysler Town and

Customer Question

How do I stop the chiming on my 2012 Chrysler Town and Country Van when I leaving it running and lock the door.
Dale..................
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming your'e starting the engine, locking the doors and leaving the van with no key inside. The chime is to alert you that the key has left the vehicle with the engine running since doing so isn't intended operation. The only reason the engine isn't disabled when the key leaves the van is because it would be a safety issue if the engine was intentionally shut off if the key lost communication while driving for instance. The chime in this case is a safety/security feature and there isn't a provision to be able to disable it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I know the rational for the chime. I did not want to know why it chimes, I want to know how to stop it.
The reason is that I leave my dog in the van ( for short periods) and leave it running with the A/C on(summer) and heat on (winter). The chiming bothers him. My old van - 2006 did not do this! Also my wife does not like it.(if I do not give her the keys when I run in the pick something up at the store.
I still need help to stop the chiming!
Dale............

The 2006 van didn't do this because you couldn't start the engine with a pushbutton or force the key out and then take the key out with it running.

The reason the chime happens is relevant to knowing why it can't be stopped. Taking the key out of the van with the engine running isn't the way it's intended to be operated, doing so is why the chime is going off. It's a government mandated safety feature that cannot be disabled when exploiting that the key can be removed with the engine running.