Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

My 2001 Chrysler Town and Country ex lunges while sitting

Customer Question

My 2001 Chrysler Town and Country ex lunges while sitting stopped at red light with the van in Drive while my foot is on the brake. It jumps and lunges forward trying to go. I recently changed the fuild and filter.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correction 2003 with 3.8 L
Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll try to help with your van. The problem that you describe can commonly be fixed by a throttle body cleaning. The throttle can get gummed up with carbon and interfere with the idle quality. When it is in gear the computer normally tries to adjust the idle to compensate for added load. The carbon buildup make the passageways and idle air control motor sticky and results in this behavior. I attached a before and after picture.

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

http://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/car-maintenance/cleaning-a-throttle-body/view-all

The above link gives a step by step how to

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

Next file attached is a service bulletin for the throttle service from Chrylser

Expert:  Tom replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that the question was answered completely then please accept the answer and leave positive feedback. This way the question can be updated and I can be paid thru the website for the time spent helping you. This is the way that the experts on this site get compensated. You can still reply back at anytime on this question even after leaving the positive feedback and accepting the answer. Thanks for letting me help you.