sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Sprinkles08. I had The dealer change the part you suggested,

Customer Question

Sprinkles08. I had The dealer change the part you suggested, and have taken the car back in 2 times since then because the tire pressure system light still comes back. Why?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hi again!

I expect you're still actually dealing with a pressure sensor issue. If the shop that originally worked on the car didn't even know how the system was controlled I really don't trust their word that there isn't a sensor problem.

Where have you taken the car to be looked at the last two times? Have you gone to the dealer or back to an independent shop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Back to the same chrysler dealer. When they changed the overhead module the tire pressure system light was off for the first 10+/- miles of highway driving. I had to wait 2 weeks to take the car back to the dealer because of their work load. Then when I picked up the car again the said they programed the sensors. Once on the road the tire pressure system light came on within the first 8 miles. All the time the light stays on. 2 weeks ago they indicated they thought it was the sensors and we're going to change only 2 of them because that's the amount they has in stock. When I picked up the car they supposedly programed them again. I have an appointment to take my car back in this Tuesday. I'm beginning to believe they do not have qualified mechanics. As example, they haven't been able to correct my floating fuel gauge runs from full to 3/4 full and back up to full even after changing both fuel pumps.

Do you know what fault codes are setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know. I'll find out and let you know. I just placed a call to my service writer to find out. Previously My service writer said no codes were indicated.

Let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I won't know until I take the car into the dealer again tomorrow. Hopefully I'll know more late tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday regarding any codes.. As soon as I have the codes I will reply back. Thank you.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon, my car is still at the dealer. fault code .. transponder ID mismatched, unprogrammed key. All four of the tire sensors had the same ID number. Obviously the dealer did not program the individual ID numbers on each sensor in the system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
22122212 was the ID on all four tire sensors in the computer.

Great! It would just be a matter of programming the ID's then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's see if they know how to do that. The dealer was to do that the past 2 times the car was in the shop (as per my service writer). If they can't figure it out, can a large tire store chain do this programming or is it locked to dealers?

They need to retrieve the sensor ID's with a tire pressure monitor tool and then program the ID's in with the DRB. They should know how to do it. Some tire shops may have the capability.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, but I let you know my car still at the dealership. They're trying to figure it out. Its been in there for 2 weeks and their shop foreman just started to work on the car today. With any luck at all not get it back next week. They had a duly in there for 44 days that they been working on that kept the shop foreman busy. Unbelievable they have a two week waiting period even for customers with an appointment. Hopefully I'll get it out next week and I'll report back to you. Have a great weekend.

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on what way you look at it, many dealers are that busy. My schedule has been running 2-3 weeks in advance since the first of the year. I hope you get the car back soon!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car is still at the dealer. My service writer told me today that the onboard computer will not allow them to program in the individual serial numbers to the tire pressure monitors. I'm waiting to speak to the shop foreman to learn more. the other problem they can't figure out is why the gas tank fuel gauge read full than three quarters of a tank full then 7/8 of a tank full then back up to fall after changing how both fuel pumps.

Where did the replacement tire pressure sensors come from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer had 2 of them. Don't know where they got them from. They changed two on the back and then tried to program all 4. Not sure they changed all 4 yet. This has been going on for way too long.

Did you have aftermarket ones in it before that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not that I know of. The previous ones were installed by the dealer over the years. Maybe the dealer was using aftermarket parts I don't know. Is that possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell by the serial numbers? If so I have them I can provide you

I thought that another shop had replaced all four sensors in an attempt to repair the current issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other shop just the dealer. Would be serial numbers on the sensors indicate whether they are factory or otherwise?

I could tell with the part number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a list of the serial numbers on the sensors as of September 10th

The actual part number is ***** I would need. The part number would be on a receipt from when you were billed for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would require going through 12 years worth of service tickets with the dealers that have worked on my car.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you alluding to the fact that the aftermarket sensors are not programmable in the system? And that if that's the case therein lies the problem?

Aftermarket sensors often cause problems and I wouldn't recommend using them, but if they were replaced at a dealer they probably aren't aftermarket. I thought that the sensors had been replaced in an attempt to repair the issue, if they haven't been replaced and the overhead console has then odds are you have sensor issues. The only components in the system are the overhead console and the sensors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My service writer told me yesterday that they believe its the ignition switch that need to be changed in order to correct the problem with the tire sensors.

Replacing the ignition switch isn't going to have an effect on the tire pressure monitor system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the service writer may have been referring to the skim module.

If the TPM system is SKIM controlled then replacing the SKIM module may take care of it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe the TPS system is controlled by the Skim. Because approximately 2.5 years ago I had the same problem and they changed the overhead module and forgot to program the censors ID's and I had another dealer program them. All was well after that until this May.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On an early build car as mine is you thought it was the overhead module and not the SKIM that controls the TPS.

Yes, on early build cars it's EVIC controlled but as we discussed previously the only way to know is looking at scan tool data.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good afternoon the saga continues. My service writer just called and said that the computer is not maintaining the sensor IDs. Further the shop foreman thinks the TPS is control by the skim. The problem we ran into before when they change the skim my existing car keys were not compatible. They could not get the car to even start with my existing keys and a new skim.,therefore requiring me to purchase new car keys at a cost of $175 each and they were on backorder for 2 months. What a mess!

Did the programming of the keys fail or do you know any more about that? Once in a while programming will fail in that situation but there is nothing specifically stating the keys have to be replaced along with the SKIM module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Previously when the dealer installed the skim module to correct the problem they could not program the keys and wanted me to pay $175 a key plus programming and cutting. That's when I contacted you about this problem. Because two and a half years ago when I had the same problems with the TPS they replace the overhead module but did not program the sensors. And I took the car to another dealer and had them program the sensors and everything has been fine since then until May of this year. I would think that they could take the chip out of the keys that I currently have and put them in a new key but why do I need to buy new keys? This doesn't make sense.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why the gas tank fuel gauge read full...
why the gas tank fuel gauge read full then goes down to three quarters of a tank full then 7/8 of a tank full then back up to full then back down to 3/4 full all this before and after having dealer change both fuel pumps . I read there is a small part under the car under the passenger seat that allows the air transfer to equalize in the saddle gas tank. By changing this part will this cure the problem? 2004 Chrysler Pacifica early build.

If it's a SKIM controlled system then replacing the overhead console wouldn't have changed anything or required sensor ID's to be programmed.

The old keys are programmed to a replacement SKIM module. If programming fails then the key would have to be replaced, rare but it does happen.

The site does ask that separate question pages be opened for separate issues but the fuel issue is either a damaged or kinked transfer tube in the tank or it may not be hooked up, or one of the fuel senders may be getting caught on wiring or the transfer tube and causing the erratic gauge operation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate your reply, I did use the site earlier and asked about the fuel question and they said it was closed because it was previously disclosed during previous session with you. I was just following directions from customer service. Sorry about the confusion. Regarding the tire pressure sensors I gave you the fault code before. I will attach a photo of the of the scan tool showing all the sensors with one ID number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fault code .. transponder ID mismatched, unprogrammed key. The fault codes. The reason program key showed is because the last time they tried to change the skim module they tried to fix this problem only had one of my two keys to reprogram and the skim module could not be program to my keys. Therefore they had to remove the new skim module and reinstall my old one and reprogram my one key with the old module. Now they are back to this again. Round and round they go.

If key programming fails then the keys would need to be replaced. It's not common but happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a little confused, if fault code .. transponder ID mismatched, unprogrammed key was reading before I took it in almost 3 weeks ago this Monday, would that be from the skim module or the overhead module producing these fault codes?

That code set in the SKIM module from an unprogrammed key being inserted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. So the transponder ID mismatched code would also come from the skim? And not allow the setting of the transponder ID's if the skim was bad?

The SKIM key fault code isn't related to the tire pressure sensor issue. Either way, if the sensor ID's are programmed into the SKIM module and they do not stay then the module will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow, what a nightmare its been dealing with this for the past four and a half- 5 months in and out of the dealer during this time. They still have my car in the shop hopefully maybe some resolution next week. Where are you located maybe I should bring my car over to you.

Hopefully they'll be able to get it taken care of soon.

I'm in the midwest and would be glad to repair it but the website doesn't really allow that sort of thing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shop foreman just sent me a text saying that my car is not an early build. During one of our first Communications I gave you my VIN number and you indicated that it was an early build. Could you please revisit that. Thank you

What is relevant is how your particular system is controlled and that isn't something I can check without having a scan tool on the car in person. They're the ones that need to use the DRB to see which module controls the system, I'm sure they have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, the latest update from the dealer; they ordered new keys to be programmed with the new skim module. They still have my car and haven't addressed the fuel gage problem yet since they are working on the TPS system.

Let me know how it goes!