bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

2008 Sebring -red lightning bolt indicator light stays on

Customer Question

2008 Sebring -red lightning bolt indicator light stays on and can only drive slow
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

do you have a code reader or better yet a scan tool to pull fault codes?

if the lightning bolt is flashing there is a fault stored in the engine computer and it MUST be read to determine the reason the light is flashing

also what is your skill level can you do troubleshooting tests and follow a troubleshooting sheet once the codes are retrieved.

there are literally hundreds of faults that can cause a lightning bolt and no throttle response, remember you have a "fly by wire" or no throttle cable car as are all cars since 2008 and many earlier than that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No code reader. I am away from and have a*****home tomorrow. Amy way to reset the computer as temporary 'fix' to get me home ?I'm pretty handy and could follow a checklist
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

the only way WITHOUT a code reader or good scan tool is a battery disconnect, if that DOES NOT allow you to have throttle response and shut off the lightning bolt then the code is ACTIVE and must be repaired this will only work if the code is STORED and not active and will only work until the problem resurfaces.

this is a safety to prevent runaway problems and improper throttle action

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I read only that there is some 'key-trick' that. Do you know what that is?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

don't believe everything on the forums, that's OLD school and was discontinued many years ago the last Chrysler that I could get to flash codes reliably was the 2003 generation minivan, starting in 2004 we transitioned to a faster better communication system which no longer allows the old key cycle method of retrieving fault codes,, the last years it was reliable was prior to 1996 after the transition to OBD2 that method went away as the cars evolved and was totally abandoned after the end of the 2007 minivan.