Mike V.v
Mike V.v, Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience all makes and models, Subaru and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Turbo convertible with 96000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser Turbo convertible with 96000 miles. It running great but I got a check engine light and the code read PO175. I had the light turned off and it stayed off for a week then came back on. Now it have a code PO137. The mechanic is telling me I need a new PCM but that sounded odd and I;ve speoke to a few knowledable people including another mechanic who say I probably just need an O2 sensor. BUt the shop that it is is doesn't want to do that as they are convinced it won't fix the issue. He says that the driver in the PCM that powers the O2 sensor isn't working (it registered .3 volts vs 5 volts). He is saying that I very well may also need an O2 sensor but he won't know until they first replace the PCM. Does this add up to you? The car passed emmission inspection last month and is driving fine
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Mike V.v replied 1 year ago.

HI there,

The key here is if the wire was tested at the PCM or just the sensor. If he tested it where it comes out of the computer and there was only .3 volts, then his diagnosis is correct. If it was tested out at the sensor, then it's quite possible there is a wiring issue between the sensor and the PCM.

You need to find out where the test was done to determine the PCM is bad. If it was done right at the computer, then I agree with the tech and the PCM is the place to start.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike,He said he tested it at both the computer and the sensor. What are the risks if I defer fixing this. It was just inspected last months and this would need to be fixed to pass inspection in 7/2016. I drive this car in the warm weather when you want a convertible. I have an SUV for the winter. I realize I will get worse gas mileage but can I cause damage if I drive it? How likely do you think it is that they will also have to replace the O2 sensor?Also shop is looking to see if an aftermarket PCM might be an option. What are your thoughts on that?
Expert:  Mike V.v replied 1 year ago.

I think it would be fine to continue to drive the car with this issue for a while. You're right about the fuel mileage of course, but it should not damage anything else. My only concern to be honest is that if this has burned out at the PCM, what circuit might be next in the box? Personally I doubt you will need the O2 sensor since this is not directly a problem with the O2 sensor, but your guy is right, no way to know really until it's back up to par.

I don't see aftermarket as a problem or even a used one to be honest. Either should work, you may need some reprogramming done at the dealer either way is all.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks that is very helpful. Are there some things I could do to mitigate the fuel consumption? New air filter? Other?
Expert:  Mike V.v replied 1 year ago.

Well, since the fuel mixture is really what the O2 sensor is going to control it's probably not going to be a drastic reduction in mileage. The car will use the factory defaults that are in the computer for the reading essentially.

Things like a clean air filter, properly inflated tires will improve the mileage and a good set of spark plugs as well. But these should be done anyhow.

Expert:  Mike V.v replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question.