Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler Jeep Dodge technician
62301042

I have a chrysler concorde 2003 that has a overheating

Customer Question

hi i have a chrysler concorde 2003 that has a overheating problem. parts changed: new radiator, new thermostat new hoses new over flow bottle and heater hose assembly. the part i have.not changed is the water pump. can this be my problem? thanks.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, does this vehicle overheat within 10 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i also changed the coolant when i changed the radiator and thermostat
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

I've done this myself before and wound up replacing an engine and everything else in the cooling system needlessly before I figured out the problem. Did you install the thermostat with the spring facing the block or facing the thermostat housing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i thing it was facing the engine block
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

That's where it should be but it can go either way. The neck of the housing will let it go in backwards. It could be the water pump for sure though, they have a plastic impeller that can crack and freewheel on the pump shaft. If you're pretty sure you put the thermostat in correctly, I'd go after the water pump next and buy a timing belt while you're there. Not sure how many miles you have but the timing belt is due at 100k anyway.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, have you figured out the problem?