Jon
Jon, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Chrysler Jeep Dodge technician
62301042

I pulled out of gas station and car died went to stop and of

Customer Question

I pulled out of gas station and car died went to stop and of course brakes didn't work used Parkin break. Put car in park and restarted it but now brake pedal still won't move
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, is your pt cruiser turbocharge?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Turbo charged, sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Did you keep squeezing the pump after it clicked off to top it off? That could cause the stall after refueling. When you keep squeezing after the gas pump stops, that can cause liquid fuel to get into the charcoal canister and it's only supposed to have fuel vapor. If that happened, the purge solenoid could've came on when you pulled out of the gas station, sucked in that liquid fuel and flooded the engine causing it to stall. As far as the brake pedal, is it just hard to press like when the engine is off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car started right back up but the breaks never started working
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

There's a 3/8 inch rubber vacuum hose going to your brake booster. Do you know what I'm referring to? If so, is it connected to the booster?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Can you carefully wiggle the plastic check valve out of the rubber grommet in the booster, start the engine and let me know if there's good vacuum at the plastic nipple that goes into the booster?

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Side note, it will idle high with that hose removed if vacuum is getting to that hose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't see it real good. But sounds like air leak kinda of loud
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this an expensive fix?
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

That air leak is probably your problem with your brakes. There's probably a big nipple on the plastic intake manifold that the hose to the booster is disconnected from. It probably won't cost anything once you find it and connect it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine really hot. Will let it cool and try that. Thank you so much!
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Listen for where the air leak is coming from. That rubber hose that goes to the booster is probably disconnected. That's why you have no power brake assist. Can you snap a pic of the intake manifold? It's the black plastic thing with 4 runners in the front of the engine. Focusing on the drivers side of it. I'm pretty sure that's where the nipple is for the booster hose. Being that it's plastic, we could probably get this fixed right now.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

I'm getting ready to go to bed, I'll hang for a little but regardless, I think we are pretty close to finding the problem. If that hose popped off, that could also cause the stall. That's a huge vacuum leak.

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Hi, did you find the vacuum leak?