sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Remove the diodes but fuse 5 keeps popping...... 05 300

Customer Question

Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
05 300c 5.7
My trunk and interior light don't work. I read a tread on this subject and it said remove diodes and put them back ......I did and fuse 5 still pops....removed battery and still the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now the air is not blowing
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Fuse 5 in the power distribution center will blow if the diode is inserted in the wrong direction. Diodes allow current flow in one direction only, the zener diode circuit goes to ground and if the diode is in the wrong direction then it will connect the fuse directly to ground.

Did the problem start after work was done?

With the diodes removed does the fuse blow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With or without the diodes they are are still blowing. It is fuse 5 that keeps blowing. Do the diodes go in a different directions or the same direction

This is fuse 5 in the power distribution center in the trunk, correct; not the integrated power module under the hood?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under the hood
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse 5 under the hood not the trunk

Fuse 5 in the IPM is a power feed to the instrument cluster and headlamp washer relay. Does the fuse only blow when using the washers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it blowes when you put a fuse in it......hell before you get it all the way in. I volted it and it reads 11.5 when the car is off and 13.8 when the car is on......normal for all the fuse because they read the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition I unplugged the head lamp washer and it still does it

The next step will be to unplug the instrument cluster and see if the short to ground on the circuit goes away or you can install a fuse and see if it still blows. If it doesn't blow without the cluster in the circuit then the problem is internal in the instrument cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK pulled the cluster and it still pops the fuse

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course.....what's mext
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What am I checking for

What is the resistance to ground on the output terminal where the fuse installs?