Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

2005 Chrysler 300C 72,000 miles. Vibration problem, acts

Customer Question

2005 Chrysler 300C 72,000 miles. Vibration problem, acts just like classic U-joint wearing out on older simple driveshafts. Problem first manifested at about 68,000 miles on return leg of 2000 mile trip at 70-80 MPH. Worse at neutral and trailing throttle.
Worse but higher frequency at higher vehicle speeds. I can isolate engine by shifting to lower gear and have same vibration at same car speeds, so i believe it isn't the engine, flex plate, torque converter, or input side of trans. I have a lift and extensive
tools. I removed driveshaft and sent it to specialty shop. I notified them that the slip splines in the middle were loose enough to make a "clunk" sound when I manipulate. They returned that there was .0018 runout in the rear shaft which they corrected, replaced
both biscuits, but the slip spline was "within spec". I then took to dealership who said they felt no vibration. I returned to dealership and service manager rode me, I point out the mirror shuddering etc and he agreed there was vibration but thought I needed
a "road force balance" on my tires. As my (michelin) tires were due for replacement I replaced all four along with a wheel that my tire shop said had small runout...no change in vibration. So what do I do next?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

There is a lot that can cause a vibration, first thing I would have done with the tires off is checked balance on the wheels with no tires to check if any were damaged, seeing you have new tires it could still be a damaged wheel, a damaged wheel even with enough weights can still cause a vibration. Next I would check ALL suspension and steering components to see if any are loose including the rack, then moving on to checking no engine/trans vibrations (drivetrain) and then finally moving on to the rear diff/axle which could very well be the problem. Check wheel bearings and then on a lift secured well you would start the engine and accelerate (abs lights will most likely come on and turn traction control off) On a lift if you have vibration you have pinpointed it to drivetrain or rear end/rear wheels. However if vibration is gone it is either not the right conditions or it is in the front end or suspension/steering.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.