Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

Following the post of: 1998 Chrysler Sebring. Intermittent

Customer Question

Following the post of:
http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/1o2in-1998-chrysler-sebring-2-5-v6-no-spark.html
1998 Chrysler Sebring. Intermittent no-spark. Engine runs for about 10-20 minutes then stops on it's own. Cranks with no spark. After a few minutes usually starts up again.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1998 Chrysler Sebring. Intermittent no-spark.
(I have been referencing the post of: http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/1o2in-1998-chrysler-sebring-2-5-v6-no-spark.html )I have a 1998 Chrysler Sebring. Intermittent no-spark. Engine runs for about 10-20 minutes then stops on it's own. Cranks with no spark. After a few minutes usually starts up again. Then runs for a long time.Correct me if I am wrong: If the PCM receives the correct signals from the Crankshaft and Crankcase sensor, the PCM will apply power to the Automatic Shutdown Relay (ADM).I put a 12 lamp across C2-pin 6 and saw it was lit while cranking. At the same time, I observed "no-spark". Eventually, I got a spark, and the engine ran. Does this indicate the sensors are good ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In most cases if the sensors are a problem the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes including the Cam and crankshaft sensor. Has the computer been scanned and if so are you setting any fault codes? Check this for me and post back and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes have been set. This Ida 1998 Chrysler and the Haynes manual does not indicate the crankshaft sensor will set a code.it indicates the camshaft will set a code.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Both if failing will set a code and if you do not have any code setting then that usually means they are okay. In order to determine why you are not getting any spark you are going to need to do some testing See the steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20spark%20Aug%2026.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read your post. Unfortunately I have an intermittent no spark and the distributor is an unbelievable bitch to get to. If I disassemble to test the distributor, there's a good chance it will send a spark even if it is the failure point. Testing the distributor in an intermittent state is going to be very difficult.
The Crank case sensor is also very difficult to change.
Therefore I need a way to rule out various components. All I can really do is perform tests at the PCM harness and possibly at the ADM.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The time to test it is when you loose the spark and the distributor and or the connection to it is a very common part to fail. Im thinking at some point its going to stop starting permanently until you find the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having it fail permanently would be nice. Unfortunately, vehicle is too unreliable to drive now. I need a test plan to rule out items using a test light or meter.Please tell me if I am wrong: possible causes are
Camshaft Sensor
Crankshaft Sensor
Distributor Coil
ASD relay
PCM (unlikely, but possible)I rigged a led test light using an led light I rigged from an old led flashlight. I was hoping to see the sensor signal, hard to read with a meter.
1) I tested C2, pin 32 (crankshaft). This made the engine stop. Code was NOT set. (Haynes was correct)
2) I tested C2, pin 33 (camshaft). This made the engine stop.Code WAS set.
3) I tested C2, pin 4 (coil driver), Light flashes.
4) Using a 12v lamp, I tested C2, pin6 (ASD output), light stays on.
5) While testing C2, 32 (crankshaft) - messes up sensor signal; then started engine. Got no spark. Observed sensor signal on led light. ASD output stayed on. This disproves my original theory, and makes the crankshaft sensor a possible cause.Please tell me if I am wrong: possible causes are the following and/or connections/wiring feeding these circuits.
- Camshaft Sensor (would have thrown a code)
? Crankshaft Sensor ( I will be purchasing a real logic probe to test it )
? Distributor Coil
? ASD relay (swapped relay and applied electrical cleaner to contacts, waiting to see if it helps)
? PCM (unlikely, but possible)
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Both the Crankshaft sensor as well as the ASD relay are common to fail. No so much with a bad PCM.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am hoping a logic probe ($12 at harbor freight) on C2, pin 32 (crankshaft), will show the signal. If I get the car in a no spark mode, then start it I should see the signal indicating the sensor is good. No light would indicate a bad sensor. Can you send me the pin-outs for C2 and C1 and any documents on how the PCM/ignition circuits are supposed to work ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes you should be able to see the signal if its there. Are you looking for a pin out for the ECM?

Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

See the link below for the connectors as well as the ignition system over view.

Copy and paste the links to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/C1%20AUg%2026.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/C2%20Aug%2026.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Igntion%20over%20view%20AUg%2026.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pin-outs are helpful; the write-does not tell me anything new. Do you have any-kind of write-up on diagnosing the system ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The steps I sent you in the first post is what is available.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The post I referenced at the beginning had more information than I have gotten here. I thought I was getting the guy who wrote that one - since he really knew how this car works.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I am not able to see the post and the guy who wrote it is not on line, if you would like me to open the question back up for you I can do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I referenced the JustAnswer post in my original question "1998 chrysler sebring 2.5 v6 NO SPARK" - but it was removed from the post. I was hoping to get "Mopar Certified" as he provided a very deep diagnosis for a similar problem. Please open the question back up.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I can open the question back up and if hes available he will pick it up if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for re-opening it
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Doing so now