Amedee
Amedee, Chrysler Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My PT cruiser dies when I try to start it. Everything works

Customer Question

My PT cruiser dies when I try to start it. Everything works but when I turn the ignition to Start, I here an electrical CLICK (like a thermal switch) and everything dies, no lights, no nothing. I disconnect and reconnect the battery and everything is OK again, except it won't start and will shut off again when I try. I replaced the ignition switch and the ASD relay, but still no luck.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! Are you saying tht the engine cranks over but does not start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it does not crank. I hear a loud POP, like a thermal fuse popping, and the car is completely dead, as if it didn't have a battery. When this first started a couple of weeks ago, I would disconnect the battery, reconnect it and it would work again. After that I replaced the ASD relay and thought I had fixed it, but it happened again. This morning I replaced the ignition switch, switch actuator and key drum, but still having the same problem.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So do the headlights work? What about the dome lights?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Dead. As if you take the battery out of the vehicle.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So what is the battery voltage at?

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Either the battery is bad, low on a charge, or you have a bad connection at or after the battery. You could even have a blown fuse. You will need to check all fuses under the hood. Not only to ensure they are good, but to be sure that they have battery voltage on them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is good, new. Just in case I tried jump starting it. But every time the ignition gets to Start, POP, and everyhting dies until I disconnect the battery and reconnect it. Then everything works, except the start. I took out the Air filter box and checked all fuses and they all get the voltage until I try to start it. Then no voltage anywhere except the battery.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I bet you have a bad connection at the battery

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

What does the voltage drop down to at the battery and connection when you try to start the engine? If you dont know, this is the next thing to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The thing is that the power is lost as soon as the key reaches the Start position. The battery voltage is not affected at all. Right now it is at 12.67 and does not change a bit when the key gets to the Start position.Then I have to disconnect the battery and reconnect it again to get everything working. The car is a convertible and even the roof works, the AC works, everything works, right up to the instant the key reaches the Start position, then everything is dead, but the battery voltage remains the same
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. What is the voltage on the MAIN fuses under the hood when this happens?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to check that. But I am guessing 0 as nothing works.
I will have to try that tomorrow though, as it is already dark here. Thank you for your help so far, but this has been driving me mad for almost a week now.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

NO problem! You are most welcome! Please let me know when your ready to continue testing.