jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience
8668911

My 1992 Plymouth voyager died when I pulled into a parking

Customer Question

my 1992 Plymouth voyager died when I pulled into a parking space. the engine would turn over but acted like it was not getting gas. After being towed home, I tried to start car next day it briefly started but stopped for lack of fuel. the gas tank is fullType your question here...
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, if you have someone turn the key to the run(not crank position) listen at the tank with a mechanics stethoscope or a long bar or screw driver pressed against your ear and against the gas tank .

then when the key is turned to run the fuel pump should kick on for 2-3 seconds and then stop.this should happen each time you cycle the key from off to run .

if you don't hear the fuel pump run then it is either the fuel pump is bad or the wiring to the fuel pump.

in your case it is most likely the fuel pump.

you may be able to hear the pump without an aid of the bar or stethoscope .

It seems that a lot of pumps fail when the gas tank is full .

.also, I might add that usually you can hear the asd relay click on and off when the pump turns on and off ..jazzmaster ..

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, do you still need assistance ?

can you hear the fuel pump running ?

Expert:  jazzmaster replied 1 year ago.

hi, if you still need help let me know

If I helped you please rate me positive and we can still go on if needed ..thank you ...jazzmaster ..