sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2008 chrysler sebring cnvertible. with the top up

Customer Question

i have a 2008 chrysler sebring cnvertible. with the top up and the trunk open, the tonneau cover did not retract evenly, one side is higher than the other and now the tonneay cover does not retract enough for the trunk to close, my trunk is stuck in the
open position. What can i do to manually move the worm gear on one side to make it even and attempt to close myh trunk?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
Rather than trying to move something to force it closed and possibly not get it open again I would recommend repairing the issue, unless you don't intend to open the top anymore. Forcing it closed could damage components initially, if you're able to get it to close you may not be able to get it open again without doing further damage.
You may have a hydraulic or a mechanical issue. Are you able to see anything that's physically damaged?
Do you still hear the pump running when pressing the switch to close the top?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both worm gears move up and down if I hit the open and close button for the top it's just that they are out of sync, one is higher than the other which is keeping it from going all the way. The two worm gears on the trunk that extend and retract the tonneau cover flush against the trunk. The next step is for the trunk to lower but it can't lower bcuz the tonneau cover isn't flush against the trunk.
Is it possible to upload a picture of exactly what you're seeing, or upload a video?
Was the trunk opened or closed on an object?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went to lower my top a few days ago, my top went down but I noticed the trunk was not closing all the way. I put the top back up, when my trunk opened I noticed the tonneau cover had retracted unevenly. One side was higher than the other and my trunk cannot close back up. The gears move up and down. I tried to upload pics and it's telling me the files are too big.
Can you resize them with Photoshop, Paint, etc?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K, i will try
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One is higher than the other
Was there ever any abnormal noise from the motor, cables, or the drive mechanisms? Both sides are driven by the same motor, being out of sync with each other would have to be a stripped drive or a cable or motor issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No abnormal noise, i am wondering if maybe something moved in my trunk which made it uneven? They r moving fine up and down but one is higher than the other
Was anything forward of the cargo divider? If there was anything forward of the cargo divider then components will definitely be damaged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing beyond the cargo divider
There shouldn't have been anything for it to hit then.For he sites to not be lined u one of hem had to have skipped at the drive mechanism or motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can this be fixed?
The last post should have read "There shouldn't have been anything for it to hit then. For the sides to not be lined up one of them had to have skipped at the drive mechanism or motor."
You'll have to determine what has failed through visual inspection and inspection while trying to operate it and then replace the damaged part. The problem is the motor, one of the cables or one of the drive mechanisms.