sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2002 Chrysler concord lxi 60k original. I was

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chrysler concord lxi 60k original. I was idling for about 5 min in extreme heat when I put it in gear it started whining a little and shifting slow in gear. would go in and out. I drove it home less than a mile. Last night I drove it to the store and it was fine. right before I got home it was doing it again. It seems to do it after the car warms up. What is this? What do I tell them it is at the shop, how much should I pay to fix? Can I drive it a mile to the shop. what to do?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
I'm assuming the whining noise was coming from the trans.
If you're hearing a whine from the trans along with slipping or delayed engagement then a restricted filter is most likely. If the filter becomes restricted just due to lack of replacement or with debris from the failure of a component then it will starve the pump. This causes the pump to whine, the drop in line pressure will cause slippage, delayed engagement, or it can prevent the trans from engaging at all.
What should be done is drop the pan, inspect for debris and replace the filter if there doesn't appear to be a mechanical failure.
How far you can drive it depends on how bad it is. You may be able to make it a mile if you take off from a cold start and drive straight there.