Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Just curious - I drive a 2003 Sebring GTC 2.7L, but I think

Customer Question

just curious - I drive a 2003 Sebring GTC 2.7L, but I think the factory settings for the cooling fans to come on is too high. I have NO DOUBT they are coming on at the correct factory-default temp though, but can I bypass the default settings and hook up an on/off switch to run the fans manually?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** you can run a wire from the ground pin on the cooling fan relay, up to a switch, and then a wire from the swich to any ground, then you can hit the switch and turn the fan on at anytime, but still have the computer controlling the fan when the switch is off,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that means if I just connect a wire from that ground pin on the relay to any ground then the fans will kick on, correct? I'm asking because I just want to test it first before I install the switch.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
if grounded, with the key on, the fans will come on, and if you put it on a switch, you can leave the switch off, and it will still work from the computer,Tim
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Tim - so when finished I will have a wire going from the ground pin of the relay to the nearby ground terminal, and that connection will turn on the fan. But there's a couple of things that are unclear to me: Question 1) which is the ground pin on the relay? The pins are numbered 85,86,87,87A & 30. My reference says 85 = Coil, 86 = Coil, 87 = Normally Open (NO), 87a = Normally Closed (NC), and 30 = Common connection to NO & NC terminals. Sorry for these questions sounding stupid, but which of the above is what you are calling "Ground"? Question 2) when I do run the wire from that "ground pin of the relay", am I leaving the relay plugged in and just running that wire out from underneath it to ground while the relay is plugged in?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
it will be 85 or 86, remove the relay and check for power on the terminals, 30 will have power at all times, and 85 or 86 will have power when the key is on, the ground control will be the one that does NOT have power, most likely the 85,then u=insert the ground wire into that socket and reinstall the relay,Tim