Chris
Chris, Technician
Experience:  30 years certified Chrysler technician, smog license Certified Master Technician
12365498

We have a Pacific 2005 model year. It has leaked power

Customer Question

We have a Pacific 2005 model year. It has leaked power steering fluid in the past. The mechanic has replaced the pump and all of the 4 lines. The first new pump leaked immediately at one of the seals?? and he replaced it with yet another pump. The system apparently creates too much pressure and all the fluid runs out. The fixes that he has done only last for 20-25 miles approximately and then the fluid runs out yet again. The vehicle has been towed 3 times now to return it to the shop for the same problem. The experienced mechanic is perplexed. Suggestions? Thank you.
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Pacifica touring model
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! my name is ***** ***** I would like to thank you for allowing me to assist you! Has the steering rack been replaced? Is the mechanic using OEM Mopar parts or after market parts?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suspect that is has been an after market part each time. Why the steering rack?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Well, I am thinking maybe a spool valve in the rack is causing extra pressure and possibly causing the pump shaft seal to leak. I also recommend OEM Mopar pumps. I have had issues with some after market ones Just FYI.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!
Chris