sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have 2001 pt cruiser ,I replaced fan they quite working

Customer Question

I have 2001 pt cruiser ,I replaced fan they quite working got hot, replaced thermostat, temp send unit,and now it registers hot but when I get out to check it it is normal. My mech look at it and used a little insturment on it and it to registered normal. Please help me to get it right.I tried disconected battery to re set computer ,,didn,t work
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if the issue you're having is an inaccurate coolant temperature gauge. If that's the case there could be a few things going on.
If the gauge wasn't inaccurate until the coolant sensor was replaced then the sensor is the most likely cause. Aftermarket electrical parts often cause repeat issues, replacing it with a Mopar would be recommend if the problem started after the sensor was replaced.
It could be a wiring issue. A poor sensor ground, resistance or a short on the signal wire will alter the coolant sensor's signal.
To see if the sensor is truly inaccurate what would need to be done is look at it's reading with a scan tool with the engine cold and see if it matched ambient temperature.
If the signal is actually correct and the gauge is showing higher than it should be then the problem would be in the instrument cluster, which is possible but not common.