Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ years experience as automotive store manager and technician.
3195632

Gas gauge reads full and lets only about 1/2 gal. gas get

Customer Question

Gas gauge reads full and lets only about 1/2 gal. gas get pumped in
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
hi,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Ok, lets check for any stored fault code. within 5 seconds, turn the key in the ignition on-off-on-off-on, leaving it in the on position(position just before cranking). Now look at the odometer. Any fault codes will show there as Pxxxx codes - example - P0456.
Let me know if there are any codes and what they are.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
Is the check engine light on, or any other warning lights
Any trouble starting the vehicle after putting gas in it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing at all and runs strong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did get a high oil sign once in a while
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,
I suspect that either there is some fuel in the vapor canister or the fuel tank vent valve is not opening and the vapor is building up and preventing fuel from being added in sufficient quantity.
The fuel gage reading full is likely related to this due to the vapor buildup in the tank which can give an erroneous reading from the fuel level sensor
But unfortunately the only way to tell is by inspection of both which will involve dropping the tank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not a timely response . It was over 6 hours and I already had the answer off Google for free. Also it would do me no good to drop the tank as it is all sealed.