sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I was driving, no issues, and the car shut off. When I tried

Customer Question

Good morning, I was driving, no issues, and the car shut off. When I tried to Start it, I didn't hear the fuel pump engage. I checked the fuse, it's good. I added a fuel additive and had the oil changed prior to driving.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Based on your description, it sounds like the PCM (engine computer) or fuel pump failed. What needs to be done is to have a scan tool connected to the vehicle, and check to see if it will communicate with the PCM. If it will, then check for trouble codes and tell me what they are. If it will not, then the PCM probably died and will need to be replaced. If the PCM does communicate, then suspect the fuel pump and have it replaced.

I hope this helps,

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the above. Timing belt.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.
Ok sorry about that. When you said that you could not hear the fuel pump run, I did not even suspect timing belt yet. Hopefully you did not bend any valves.
Chris
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should be a non interference engine?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The 2.4 is technically a non interference engine in that pistons should not hit valves if the belt breaks, but if the cams turn independently of each other then the intake and exhaust valves will hit each other. Usually there are no issues but I've seen a couple cases where valves hit pistons, which I assume happened because the belt broke at high engine speed.