Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  #@ years in the Automotive repair field.
7276279

I have 01' pt Cruiser that idle off lil check engine says

Customer Question

Hey I have 01' pt Cruiser that idle off lil check engine says lean on #1 and when I let the clutch out it knocks
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In most cases lean codes indicate and engine vacuum leak but before you do anything else can you give me the actual fault code your are getting when the engine light is on. Post back with this information and we can work from there to try and get this resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still need help and It was p0171 code also had p0118 code and the other was from me using the wrong key to start it 3 codes in all
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.
The code P0171 is a lean code , I would start first with checking the engine for any signs of a vacuum leak in and around the intake area , if no leaks are found then the next step would be to verify you have proper fuel pressure (58 PSI) as well as making sure the Hots sensors are switching properly, Both sensors should switch between 0.1 and 0.9 volts. The upstream sensor should switch much faster than the downstream sensor.
The code P0118 indicates you have either a stuck open thermostat or a failing coolant temp sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok but main question is about the knock in the motor when the clutch is out but not when the clutch is in
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Does it knock when the clutch is released?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay so it knock with the clutch in as well as released?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No only when released
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

With out being there to actually hear the knock it would be hard to say for sure but in most cases if the noise is coming from the engine its usually internal and not a good sign and I would have it checked ASAP to be sure its safe to drive.