Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a p2096 engine code on a 2011 town and country with

Customer Question

I have a p2096 engine code on a 2011 town and country with 3.6 engine where do I start. I got the code once before and reset it. Now it is back again. There are about 75000 miles on it. Will spark plugs fix it or do I need to replace the O2 sensor
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

what is the code?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P2096
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2011 town and country with 3.6 flex fuel
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

OK there is NO magic fix here the code you have is for a lean fuel system, I am sending a link to the diagnostic procedure for this code, while there is a small chance there is an o2 sensor failure the MORE LIKELY problem here is an exhaust leak, I cannot inspect or see your van so you MUST look for any black soot around any exhaust pipes FIRST and fix any leaks, then clear the code and see if it returns, also if the fuel pump is getting weak it can throw this code too, o2 sensors are not as common as they used to be on lower mileage vehicles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8kdv54y5bzvhxcq/P2096.pdf?dl=0

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

following up to see if you still need assistance

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The document you sent me included many things. I have checked for exhaust leak and do not see any hint of a leak. I will have to check fuel pressure some how. The engine runs fine and it isn't due for plugs so it is hard to tell what I should do next. I erased the code and we put about 500 miles on this weekend with no code. It is very intermitent.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
that is a very difficult code to fix even for a pro with a dealer level scan tool, since it is NOT usually a o2 sensor, there is a possibility of the fix being as simple as a software update as well, I do not have your vehicle in front of me so I cannot tell you if there is any updates, these must be done with a dealer level scan tool OR a shop that has the ability to reprogram car computers