sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 88 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 many times won't keep running on

Customer Question

My 88 Plymouth Voyager 3.0 many times won't keep running on cold starts. I use both feet to keep it running. Once it's warmed up it runs just fine. Is there a part that needs replacing?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If the engine runs otherwise normally but simply won't idle then the problem is most likely with the idle air control motor. The IAC is on the throttle body and allows air into the engine when the throttle is closed. A small amount of air comes past the throttle blade, the IAC is used to add or reduce air through a separate channel to control idle.
Carbon buildup on the throttle blade, in the throttle body bore and in the IAC will cause what you're having. It would be a good idea to start by cleaning the throttle body and IAC bore.
If that doesn't help then the IAC will most likely need to be replaced. They get stiff as they age and don't respond when commanded, eventually it will progress to it not moving at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been gone since asking the question. I will take your information and do what you suggest. This will also take a period of time as I'm very busy and gone a lot. I will respond when I finally get to use your suggestion. Thanks
You're welcome!