Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a2009 T&C. I found this code (P1404)with one of those

Customer Question

Hi. I have a2009 T&C. I found this code (P1404)with one of those ODB things you get online pretty cheaply and an android app. So, I saw on the website that it would either be the wiring harness or the EGR (whatever that is). The thing is, what made me check was the engine was smoking (or steaming). Would this happen with this problem, or would that be a separate issue? It looked like something had sprayed on the engine to cause the smoking, but I can't be sure. I think it smelled like anti freeze, but I'm not a car guy. Also, do you think it's safe to drive to my mechanic about five miles away (55mph).
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, the cause of the spray could be numerous items. The most common on this vehicle is the heater hose pipe. You will need to look around the engine compartment to see if anything obvious. Try to narrow it down to what side of the engine if possible. Here is a link to where to look for the common coolant leak that I mentioned and what to look for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hh71R3QKHo . As far as the code P1404......the most common cause for EGR valve codes on this vehicle is the EGR valve. The code may have been there for awhile.....if the code or problem is active, the check engine light should be on. If the light is off and you checked the code.....the problem is not present and the code is stored. I believe the issues are separate and not related. That doesn't mean that excessive liquids.....coolant or oil for example could cause connection issues at items such as the EGr valve. As far as driving......that depends. If you have a fluid leak then it can cause even more problems. If you run the engine hot you could damage and if the leak is something like oil, then possible fire hazard. Its obvious that there's something getting on the exhaust and 5 miles is alot when it comes to a problem. I would not recommend driving it myself due to a simple problem could become a much larger problem in the 5 miles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Vipertech replied 1 year ago.

Your very much welcome. If you feel that I answered your question fully then please leave positive feedback so that the question can be closed. If you need further help then feel free to ask.