sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 1993 town and country. And the alarm has disabled

Customer Question

I have a 1993 town and country. And the alarm has disabled the car. The car would not start or crank when I turn the key
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A so called mechanic said he needed a pin number to re program the alarm and keys. But it has taken him a month to do so. Can you please tell me how to reprogram the alarm and keys. So i can do it myself. Thank you
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
A PIN isn't used to program the keys or fobs. Fobs don't lose programming and the keys on these did not have a transponder to program.
If the issue was related to security then the engine would start, run for two seconds and die abruptly as the injectors are shut off. It would do this three times along with the lights flashing and horn honking and then lock the starter out. Is this what happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are fob's? i was on a winding road running around 30mph and the engine suddenly died on me. From then I had to tow it back home. And asked a mechanic to take a look at it. And he said it had something to do with he alarm system. And since then,starter would not even crank when I turn the key. What should I do?
A key fob is the transmitter for keyless entry but you don't have a security related issue.
The fuel pump doesn't run when the key is turned on,correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant say for sure. Nothing happens when i turn the key.
It sounds like your powertrain control module is down. The PCM is the module that controls all engine functions. Without it you'll have no spark, fuel, and the starter won't engage.
What will need to be done is ensure the PCM isn't awake using a scan tool. From there it's powers and grounds will need to be tested, the sensor ground circuits will need to be checked for a short to voltage and the 5v and 8v reference circuits tested for a short to ground. If all are ok then the PCM can be condemned.