FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel Tech
1627031

About 3 years ago I purchased a 2007 PT cruiser. Last summer

Customer Question

About 3 years ago I purchased a 2007 PT cruiser. Last summer I had a rebuilt motor put in the car. This summer I have a new issue that the auto mechanics I have started using in the last few months cannot resolve (I want to add that all of their past work has not caused me any problems & I'm pleased w/their work).
The new issue is: Every 3 days I have to put coolant in my car and no leaks can be found to determine where the coolant is disappearing.
Once the coolant gets real low, the engine light comes on. The temperature gauge rises quickly and at the last black hash mark just before reaching reaching H the temperature gauge comes on & of course starts ringing. Also extra information: when this first happened there was a rotten egg of kind of smell smell. Now when the car runs hot as I turn off the car there is this gurgling sound coming from the coolant reservoir.
What's been done: I have a new thermostat, coolant temp sensor, & radiator cap. Every possible leak area has been checked & rechecked. The car has been compressed. The auto shop does not want to change the water pump because there is no indication that it is leaking. The radiator was replaced (new) Sept 2014. The car was left at the shop to run for 3 hours straight and no sign of leakage. No water or smoke from tail pipe.
I've been told to just drive the car as is and fill it with water and or 50/50 coolant every few days. I do not want to do this. Please advise what we may be missing regarding this problem. Thank you.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. Even though this is a rebuilt engine it sounds like it has a weak head gasket. It is very common for it to leak while the engine is running and get burnt off without producing much, if any smoke. A block test of the radiator can be used to verify this. If it is a turbo model it can also be the turbo as that has an issue with the internal seals leaking and allowing coolant to enter the engine also. The shop should be able to easily verify this with a block test and a gas analyzer test at the exhaust pipe.