Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

2003 PT Cruiser 2.4L, p2035, p0300. My buddy has been having

Customer Question

2003 PT Cruiser 2.4L, p2035, p0300. My buddy has been having fits with this car. it will start and idle, and maybe even run a few miles like normal, then it will throw on a check engine light, and start running horribly, it will usually get so bad that
it wont accelerate. i drove it and its pretty bad. if you shut it off even for a few moments it will restart normally, but after a short distance will start all over again. if you just let it sit and idle it will idle normally but if you sit and rev the engine
to say 3500 rpm a few times the light will come on and it will start running pretty horrible, nearly stalling and dieseling. OK. so he's already had a shop replace the plugs, wires and ignition coil, now they're telling him he needs a new motor. me thinks
they just cant find the solution. any input experience or direction, particularly from factory tech is appreciated.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
Hi Welcome to Just Answer! Have they replaced the oxygen sensors?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
ok you may want to try the oxygen sensors we have seen some issues with them not reading correctly and causing the engine to run horrible also make sure they use chrysler sensors we have had issue with aftermarket ones
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmmm. why would that trigger a code for ignition coil circuit?
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
no but if you have an ignition coil code the coil could be your issue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. not real comfortable with the direction this conversation is taking. Pardon my insistence, but i need to discuss this with someone who has direct experience with this specific issue on this specific vehicle.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
What codes are they getting? You didn't mention anything about a coil code in your description.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure did. please go back and reread my original post front to back.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
are both codes coming back every time and any other codes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes. no.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
has the wiring from the coil to the engine controller been checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
they have replaced pretty much everything to do with that code beside the pcm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, so help me with the thinking. if the pcm is bad, would it not just be bad? what is got me kinda perplexed is why it would run normal after a restart, and sit and idle just fine, then go all sorts of crazy. then run normal, and on and on.
Expert:  b5demon replied 1 year ago.
by shutting the car off you are resetting the pcm. so it will run ok at first and then start getting worse as it adjusts the fuel and timing the issue is the oxygen sensor issue will act like that too