sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Pacifica: I bought a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica at auction.

Customer Question

I bought a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica at auction. When we put a battery in it the lights work fine. However, It won't start and the blocks are lit around all gears not just the P. You know the box appears around whatever gear you are in. When you turn the key it's around all positions.. please help
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
You may have a transmission range sensor related issue or the powertrain control module may be down. If the PCM is down then you'll also find that the fuel pump doesn't run when the key is turned on and there will be no communication with a scan tool.
If the PCM is awake then the problem is range sensor related. It could be the sensor itself or wiring but it could be a ground issue. If the PCM is found to be awake then the next thing you'll want to check is the engine ground. The ground cable goes down to the left end of the transmission, I've seen quite a few cases of voltage drop between the cable and the terminal that bolts to the trans. You may find corrosion there or you may find the cable is separated from the terminal. If the engine and trans aren't grounded then the range sensor can't operate and it will cause what you're having.