Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  28 years experience, ASE Master Certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Sprinter Van Certified
49095596

Chrysler PT Cruiser: Just installed a new water pump but when

Customer Question

Just installed a new water pump but when I tried to start it, nothing happens. I just hear a clicking sound when I turn the key.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern. This sounds like a battery or charging system issue. At this time I recommend to remove the battery and take it in to have it "Load Tested". If it fails the load test, replacement is recommended... Let me know if you can have this done and post back the results. We can continue from there.... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I replaced the battery. It is fully charged. Engine sounds like it wants to start but it doesn't. And there's a strong odor of gasoline
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Did you make absolutely sure to correctly time the engine when you replaced the water pump? Has it been scanned for codes yet? If not, that will be my first recommendation. We need to scan for codes to see if this will point us in the right direction... Keep me posted... Thank you, Robert
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I check the timing and what is the correct setting?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
Basically when you installed the water pump you needed to be sure that all the timing marks are lined up before reinstalling the Timing Belt.. Here is the procedure to set the Timing on the 2.4l engine...>><a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60214565/04_2.4l_Timing_Belt_Install.pdf" target="_blank">--Click here--to view</a>Click here if above link doesn't work. Keep me posted and let me know if you need additional info...Thank You,Robert
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.
This is an automated response that was scheduled when I posted my answer. I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.
If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks!", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark My Profile Page (Bookmark this link) in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it.
If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.
If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...
If your not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.
My goal is to answer your question to your complete satisfaction, and would like to earn your business now and in the future.
Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!
Robert