sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Aspen Limited: I have 2007 Aspen that is not starting

Customer Question

I have 2007 Aspen that is not starting now. It has died on me twice in middle of driving in the last month. Yesterday I drove it and it was having problems switching gears, it was hard to get over 30 mph, then when killed it it won't start. Just keeps turning over. Battery good. I've always had problems with it idling rough. Changed throttle position sensor recently and has ran good for about a month up until now. One of the codes that came up is P0123 Code - Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input.
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The TPS code could possibly be related to the shifting issue but it definitely wouldn't be related to it not restarting. If it isn't starting then you're either missing spark or fuel of possibly the fuel is contaminated if it happened after getting fuel. Most likely you're missing spark or fuel.
Most causes of a loss of spark will set a fault code. A failed crank sensor would be the most likely cause of a loss of spark but it could be a wiring issue, the ASD relay, or even cam timing.
If there are no related codes setting then it would be a good idea to check fuel pressure. You may have a failing pump.
You mentioned the TPS code was just one of the codes setting. Are there others currently set?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Below are the codes that I am getting, it will start now sometimes but still having the problem with shifting into higher gear. When need to change to higher gears have to let off of the gas pedal in order to shift or the rpms will just keep going up.P0452, P0068, P2074, and P0123.Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was definitely missing fuel though because they had to pour gas in the carbonator I think it was to get it started. But for some reason not it is starting fine most of the time.
Has fuel pressure been tested under a load and tested for bleedoff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fuel pressure was tested while running and it was 60psi, did not bleed off.
When it died was the throttle closed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That I am not sure.
You have a 4.7, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, flex fuel and I am pretty sure the throttle was closed when it would die as wasn't pressing the gas pedal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, all of my brake lights have been on, abs, brake, and two others esp, and one other. Brought it in and said it could be faulty speed sensor causing my brake lights to come on. Would the speed sensors have anything to do with the other issues I am having?
Do you know what fault codes are set in the ABS module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not, I was told I had to bring to dealership to get those codes.
It wouldn't necessarily need to be a dealer but it does require an actual scan tool.
You pretty certainly have a bad TPS. When the TPS gets worn it can become erratic, if the voltage dipped while the throttle is closed then it could have caused the engine to die.
The P0123 is for the TPS, P0068 sets when the TPS and MAP sensor signals don't correlate, P2074 sets when the engine controller perceives that there is a large vacuum leak. This is often set by the MAP sensor or an actual vacuum leak but I recommend replacing the TPS first, clear the codes and see if this one returns.