bill
bill, chrysler master tech
Experience:  25 years with chrysler drivability and electrical expert
5203640

Chrysler Town & Country LX: i have a 2001 town and country

Customer Question

i have a 2001 town and country (3.3) with about 240,000 miles on it. a year and a half ago while changing the oil pan gasket i noticed the timing chain was stretched. a week ago all of a sudden it started idling real rough so i assumed it jumped1 tooth so i changed the timing set (no fun for a diy). still have the same problem. new plugs, wires, timing chain, and no check engine light or smoke. any ideas?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
does your van have an egr valve?this model minivan came with AND without one all depending on the emissions package it was originally built with
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it struggles on takeoff but once over about 800 rpm it has full power and acceleration
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
ok let's start with a quick check of the egr valve, with the engine running feel the egr tube to intake manifold, if it is very hot the egr is stuck open and must be replaced, and by hot i mean you can't touch it, it will be quite warm from under hood heat but if the egr is bypassing the tube will be too hot to touch because it is getting exhaust gasses through it at the wrong time, this will lean out the fuel mix and cause a very rough idle but still allow full power under load, remember the egr is designed to open under a load not at an idle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just checked tube from egr. after warming up for a few minutes i could still wrap my hand around it. i reved the engine while holding it and it immediately got hot. after a minute at idle i could touch it again without burning myself. my engine light hasn't came on.ive heard people say that the fuel pressure regulator can cause this, or a broken valve spring. iguess it must be possible for the computer to think everything is working right even with this problem.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
do you have a scan tool to look at the engine data?that egr should not have opened until there was a load on the engine, so I will still suspect it is hanging slightly open if you do not have a scan tool I would remove the tube from the valve and intake and block them both off to be 100% sure it is not stuck, second a scan tool will let you see the 02 sensor voltage, I would like you to run a compression test on all 6 cylinders and look carefully at all the plugs, looking for any signs of black or extra white.and yes the older computers will not pick up some issues as they believe what the other sensors "say"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont have a scan tool (wish i did) but would that work with the engine light not coming on? i changed the plugs, they were white and the gap was erodded more than double. i changed them about 50,000 miles ago with champion double platinum.i guess my next step will be the compression test. i did pull each plug wire while running and each seemed to have about the same negative effect. im good with repairing and replacing components but there are so many things involved in these modern fuel injected and sensor controlled engines that im needeing to learn
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
yes run the compression test, BUT first block the egr valve off just to be 100% sure it is not the problem.a good scan tool will allow you to see what the engine computer is "seeing" and that is where the line gets drawn from a mechanic to a tech,, looking at what the engine computer is seeing can tell you why the engine.transmission doors or anything that is controlled by a computer is doing what it is doing, remember a computer is the stupidest smart device there is, it is only as good as the info it receives, and it's programming, so garbage info in = garbage output
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would be a good scan tool and what kind of price should i expectfor one/? im probably going to have to weigh out between getting one or paying someone to test it. thanks for all the info
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
amazon has some decent name brand like launch and otc for a couple of hundred bucks all the way to thousands as with any tool you get what you pay for, BUT all the data in the world won't help unless you actually know the difference between good and bad data and what is good data, it takes years of experience to be able to correctly read and decipher the data to make a good diagnosis.
if you feel confident in your ability to understand what you are reading then go ahead and get a good scan tool otc makes a great one but if you are just going to use it on 1 or 2 cars and it will just sit OR you can't understand what is going on (i.e. is that o2 sensor dead or is it just reacting to something else, what is a good tps reading what is a good intake air temp reading FOR YOUR CAR or is the reading being skewed by something else) then your better off paying a pro to d the diagnosis for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the help, buying one is not the route for me
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.
no problem once you get a diagnosis I can help further if you want