sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser: I have a 2004 PT Cruiser every once in

Customer Question

I have a 2004 PT Cruiser every once in a while I charge the AC unit it works fine then a week or two later all the free on shoots out of the air compressor why is that
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 2004 PT Cruiser I charge the AC units everything works fine for about a week to 2 weeks. Then all the freon sprays out of the compressor why is that?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If it's being charged to the proper level and then venting at a random time it's because high side pressure is too high. This could be a restriction in the system but the most likely cause woudl be the cooling fan. If the cooling fan isn't working or is coming on but running slowly because the motor is failing then it will cause high side pressure to become too high and it will vent from the pressure relief. You may need to check at the time the problem is happening but cooling fan issues on these weren't uncommon and you will probably find it's not working at all, running slowly all the time, or one of the two speeds doesn't work. The first thing I would recommend is checking cooling fan operation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check the Fan seems to be running fine. When I go to check the freon level now the needle just keeps bouncing all around and doesn't stay in one place what could that be
Can you explain exactly what it's showing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the refillable canes from autozone it's bouncing between 10 and 80 is that what you're asking
If it's going down to ten that's with the compressor running, if it's going up to 80 then the compressor isn't running at that time. I doubt it's bouncing, which would indicate a compressor issue, with numbers that low and high I'm assuming it's actually fluctuating. If it's going down to 10 PSI then the system is undercharged without a doubt, if it gets that low it's going to shut the compressor off and that's why you see it climb back to 80.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On that 2004 PT Cruiser the freon finally shot out of the car while I was around and the Fan was not running then it switch after a minute is that a bad fan or a bad relay and if its a relay is at the high or low relay
The most common cause of the cooling fan not running on one of these is the motor itself. When the fan should be running you'll need to test power and ground at the three way fan connector on the back of the shroud, if present then the motor has failed.