sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler town and country: , having problems with my 05 chrysler

Customer Question

Hi, having problems with my 05 chrysler town and country. My lights are flickering, dash board goes crazy, radio dvd player shuts off. Windows wont roll down, power lock and keyless entry wont work anymore. Has the alternator tested and it failed. Replaced alternator and battery 3 weeks ago, lights worked fine dashboard worked fine along with radio and dvd player. Windows and power lock/keyless entry still dont. Yesterday lights flickered and dash board went crazy again. Altenator failed again and battery cables felt hot. Could it be a ground?
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! The battery cables were either hot from overcharging or because they are the cause of the concern. Unless the alternator was overcharging du to the engine controller seeing the wrong battery voltage or a short in the alternator control wiring then the hot cables indicate high resistance. The normal cause for what you're having is high resistance/voltage drop in the alternator output cable, battery cables or connections, or the positive cable to the integrated power module. When the problem is happening you can measure alternator output voltage and compare it to the battery. If it's higher at the alternator then you have a cable or connection problem for sure. You can also connect a jumper cable from the alternator output stud to the positive battery post (not the terminal). If the electrical issues settle down then you have a positive cable issue. The same thing can be done with a cable from the engine to the negative battery post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wound up taking it to a shop, they checked my all my wiring, they checked the voltage on my battery and Altenator. Both tested normal voltage. They couldn't find anything wrong. They did put the computer back in sync with the battery, they said when battery was changed out it could have threw it off. Left there weds and didnt have a problem and my power windows started working. Last night it started acting up again and it was only AFTER i helped jump a coworkers battery. There was no one else there but us, so i felt the need to help. Now gauges, lights, radio and dvd flicker and cut off. I dont understand.
If jump starting truly caused it to act up again then the problem is likely a cable or connection issue right at the battery. Testing can only be done at the time the problems are happening which is most likely the shop didn't find the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did take it to autozone before i went to the shop on weds, when they tested my battery it tested charged, when they tested the alternator it would pass then they checked it again and it would fail every other time. I literally just put that alternator in about 3-4 weeks ago along with the new battery. When i took it to the shop they said battery was fine as well as alternator. Voltage was correct. Im so frustrated. Thought my problems were over.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes after i left the shop on weds no problem at all, until last night when i jumped my coworkers car and started driving down the road. It seemed when i turn the van off last night and let it sit for a min then turn it back on it works fine for about 3-4 miles then acts up.
Voltage output from the alternator can be fine but it's ripple too noisy. If the alternator failed on Autozone's machine I'm assuming it was for electrical noise/ripple. If it failed on their machine it should be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so replacing the alternator again should fix it? It was the regulator that failed. I have warranty on the alternator, and the battery should i replace both?
Replacing the alternator could repair it, and if it failed that needs to be done regardless, but I still believe you have a cable issue.
The battery won't need to be replaced unless it fails a load test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So you think its the battery cables, right? Sorry if my questions are dumb. I just want to make sure i am understanding
Yes, you most likely have a cable issue. The hot cables usually indicate high resistance/voltage drop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, i will change out the alternator and battery cables today. Hopefully this works. I will let you know, thank you.
You're welcome!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so we replaced, the alternator and cables. So far (fingers crossed)everything is working! Including locks, keyless entry, dvd player etc. I pray this works for good!
Great!