sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler Sebring JXi (Convertible): I have a 2000 Chrysler

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible with 109,000 miles on it. Battery warning light was coming on, and the engine would just quit while I was driving. In most cases, if I shifted into Neutral and turned the key, the engine would restart and run.
Yesterday I took it in to a local Chrysler dealer who told me that there was a dead cell in the battery which I found unusual since I had just purchased a new top quality Sears Diehard battery 7 months ago. The dealer installed a new battery, and sure enough, no more problem with the battery warning light coming on.
I had to make a couple of stops on my way home from the dealership, and the second time I tried to start the car, it was difficult to start, and at one point on the way home, the engine seemed to lose power and the tachometer dropped to 0 ....just momentarily...than came back up again.
This morning, when I tried to start the car, it didn't want to start......starter was grinding, but the engine didn't want to catch. I waited a few minutes and tried again, and that time the engine started.
I drove the car about 7 miles, stopped for a stop sign, and the engine just died. I had to push the car out of the intersection. Again, I waited a few minutes, and tried to restart the car, and it started. I was able to drive it back home without incident.
The dealer says they checked the Alternator and the Computer before discovering the dead cell in the battery, and they checked-out fine.
Any clue as to what could be causing my "stalling" problem??????
Category: Chrysler
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! It sounds as if the battery light had been coming on after the engine died. If that's the case then that's normal because the alternator isn't charging if the engine isn't running. The dying and hard starting is most likely being caused by a failing crankshaft position sensor. The crank sensor reads crankshaft speed and position and is the main input needed for spark. If it's signal drops out then the engine will miss or die depending on how long the signal is lost; if it's signal isn't present while cranking then the engine won't start.The crank sensor is the engine RPM input. The fact that the tach drops out also points to the crank sensor.