sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master & Advanced level certified, Chrysler Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Chrysler 300: , sprinkles08, over the weekend my son forces

Customer Question

Hi,Customer over the weekend my son forces the key out of the ignition while car was in drive. Now the brakes are hard meaning they won't press to the floor and the car won't start
Category: Chrysler
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! The brake pedal is just hard because the pedal has been pressed enough times without the engine running to deplete the vacuum in the booster.If the key was removed without turning the lock cylinder to the lock position then I'm wondering if the trans wasn't fully in park when that was done. If it's not in park now then the starter won't engage. It's possible that the lock cylinder, ignition switch or the link between the two has broken also.Have you checked to make sure the trans is fully in park or tried starting it in neutral?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes! I've attempted both. I tried to start the car in neutral to no avili, and I made sure the car was fully in park by shifting gears! I did a little research and I'm almost certain that the ignition switch or the ignition actuator needs to be replace. Is there any way I can verify that either is bad? For example, if the switch or the actuator goes bad will the car fire out a code? We have an autozone here that can hook the car up to a computer and usually if the check engine light is on the car will issue a code. Please note my check engine light is not on! I'm looking forward to your reply.
Kind Regards,
Michelle
Does key turn to all positions correctly now and feel normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The key turns to all position except the start position. When I try to turn the key to the start position I'm met with resistance. Hence, the key simply will not turn to the start position. Secondly, there is a little play when turning the key. It feels very loose. Can I replace the ignition switch and or actuoater myself? Or will this require a trip to the dealership because of the key needing to be programmed?
The key would only need to be programmed if it was replaced. You can replace the lock cylinder, ignition switch actuator or ignition switch yourself if you're comfortable with an intermediate level repair. If there is play and it doesn't feel as if the switch is turning to the crank position then you most likely have a broken actuator. The lock cylinder, housing and switch can be removed as an assembly and then disassembled, I believe you will find the actuator is broken and the reason the key wouldn't come out initially is because the ignition switch hadn't been turned back to the lock position.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great news! However, I read that the problem I'm experiencing could simply be cause by a faulty key. Is there any tricks of the trade to determine if my key is faulty?
A physically damaged key blade would prevent the key from turning past the lock position.